I have received word from Mr. Bob Sherwin, of Bionic Soil Solutions (formerly RoadPacker), that the target for completion of the work on Spur Ranch Road between Rte 285 and the railroad tracks is now tentatively scheduled for the end of next month. Here are excerpts from his email received two days ago:
"We will be doing the work in the next 3-4 weeks depending on the schedule and availability of the contractor. He is currently working on a job and told me this morning that he will be available in 3-4 weeks and would be able to pin the start date down in the next 2 weeks as he sees his current project progressing.
Tentatively I would say it looks like the 25th - 27th of July. However it may happen the week before. I will keep you posted as soon as we are able to firm up the actual dates with the contractor.
He would like to do the work over a Friday, Saturday and Sunday as his crews are working 4 day weeks at 10 hours a day and off on Friday - Sunday. He would have them work straight through the week on the days that we do your road. We work with contractors that are certified in the installation process so I am subject to his availability.
With the Bionic Road Solution product, we bring the moisture content up higher than the other [RoadPacker] product, so we are required to keep traffic off of the road for 24 hours while it is curing. Consequently we would be doing one lane at a time. I know that you have some road crossings along Spur Ranch Road that we will deal with as needed.
If it rains during the application process, it actually helps us as we like to keep water on i[the road] during the curing process as this reacts more like concrete than base course.
Thanks for your help with the traffic control and staging areas. I will probably invite the NM DOT and Santa Fe County personnel out to watch the application process."
Here are the points to keep in mind:
(1) Roadwork is currently planned for Friday July 25 through Sunday July 27, although possibly a week earlier (July 18 through July 20). We will be informed of the exact date in about two weeks.
(2) The product needs to cure 24 hours (like concrete), which means that no vehicles can travel on the road during the curing time.
(3) Only one lane of SRR will be open for traffic while the work is going on. Volunteers will coordinate traffic movement, using walkie-talkies, as we have done before. Please let me know if you are willing to volunteer for traffic control duty.
(4) At the end of the work day, roadwork machinery will be parked next to the mailboxes and near the RR tracks.
(5) Residents are encouraged to use Avenida Compadres and Avenida Eldorado during the roadwork, if at all possible. Throughout the night, the one open lane of SRR will be one-way only.
Thanks very much for your patience during this long saga.. Let's all keep our fingers crossed that soon we will have durable and smooth road to enjoy.
Jim Garland, president
Spur Ranch Road Association